• Paul Clifton

Don't waste your personal allowance

If one spouse or civil partner is working and the other has no taxable income, it is worthwhile considering transferring income producing investments to the non-working spouse/civil partner in order to utilise their personal allowance e.g. bank interest, dividends and property income.

This will save tax on the income and will increase the overall return from these investments. This can be useful with even the smallest amounts of savings.

Use Non-Taxpayers’ Allowances

e.g Mr and Mrs Smith have £25,000 in savings. The entire amount is held in Mr Smith’s sole name.

Mr Smith is a higher rate taxpayer and pays tax at 40%. Mrs Smith does not work and has no taxable income. At present, the interest received of £500 suffers tax at 40%, leaving a net amount received of £300.

By transferring this money into an account in Mrs Smith’s name and utilising her personal allowance, the interest can be received free of tax. This means that an instant tax saving of £200 can be made.

#personalallowance #tax

15 views0 comments

Contact Us

All Paul Limited

17 Longwood Crescent, Shadwell, Leeds LS17 8SR

Serving Alwoodley, Shadwell, Roundhay and more.

Telephone: 0113 225 2232

Email: Send us a message by clicking here.

Socialise With Us

  • LinkedIn App Icon
  • Facebook App Icon
  • Google+ App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • YouTube App Icon

Skilled in

Sage 50 Accounts training


ACCA Accountants in Leeds

Leeds Accountants, making a difference

© 2021 by All Paul Limited.        All Paul Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number of 08367537.

Director: Paul Clifton